Made in... Does it really matter?

January 7, 2010

Recently I was writing a post and I started to think, is it a huge deal to everyone where your items are manufactured?  I know that most perfer to have their stuff manufactured in the US but what is wrong with manufacturers in Mexico or even ones in China?

I know that we have a lot of stuff in our home and everyday life that is made in China and also mexico manufactured.  We are ok with that decision although we did discuss it at length to ensure that both Lee and I were on the same page as to what safety precautions we would take when it came to toys, clothing etc.  I believe that with the proper precautions from both us as parents as well as retailers and manufacturers that something that was done by China or mexico manufacturers can be just as safe as something that is made in Canada or the US.

I also think that if by going to another country allows to keep the cost of some items down then I am all for that as well.  What is your opinion on this?

4 comments:

jerricaparr said...

I'd prefer my items made in the US - keep businesses here. But then again, Americans are greedy and expect more pay. So the prices of products are forced to increase.
The way that I see it.. I'd prefer items be made here, but if it comes down to something made in the US and something made in China - I go with the cheaper price.

Andrea Hatfield said...

I prefer to buy items made here in the US or in Canada. I would like to keep the jobs here!

Emily B said...

It's not only a safety issue - it's also a human rights issue. Workers in countries like China and Mexico often work crazy hours under poor conditions for little pay. They may be children, in countries which don't have the same child labour laws we see in Canada and the US.

Not only that, but environmental regulations are not nearly as stringent in some countries. Perhaps they pour used oil or waste chemicals on the ground, contaminating ground water for miles around. Perhaps their smokestacks pollute the air with levels of toxins that would be considered outrageous here, but there are a regular thing.

I'm not making any judgement here (I love a bargain, too) - but sometimes the cheaper price comes at a much larger cost, and I believe we're each responsible for finding out the facts in life so that we can make informed decisions.

Hollowsins said...

I think enough of our jobs have gone to other places.The more made in..anywhere but the U.S. items people buy,the more jobs we lose.Given our economy we cannot afford to lose any more work to anyone else.

Post a Comment

Jabber with me

 

Tickers

page rank

Jabbering jessi Copyright © 2009 Designed by Dotcomkari for Jabbering Jessi